Chief Magistrate Lucas Onyina allowed the detention request after finding that the prosecution had met the required legal threshold to continue investigations.
The suspects will remain at Capitol Hill Police Station, with the case scheduled for mention on October 9, 2025, when the court will review the progress of the investigations.
Court approves 10-day detention
The prosecution had initially requested 14 days to hold the suspects, arguing that their release could interfere with ongoing investigations.
Prosecutors told the court that investigators needed more time to examine evidence, conduct forensic analysis, and trace possible links to other individuals.
The court, however, granted 10 days and directed the investigating officer to ensure that the suspects’ rights under the Persons Deprived of Liberty Act are protected.
Police raise concerns over evidence interference
The prosecution argued that releasing the suspects at this stage could compromise the investigation.
According to the state, the respondents could interfere with exhibits kept in police armouries, destroy evidence, or frustrate efforts to identify other people connected to the alleged offences.
Investigators also informed the court that ballistic examination reports on the recovered firearms were still pending.
The suspects’ mobile phones were also awaiting forensic analysis, which detectives said would help establish possible communication links.
Sixth suspect considered flight risk
The prosecution further described the sixth respondent as a potential flight risk due to his alleged links to Lokichogio, an area near the Kenya–Sudan border.
Investigators argued that continued detention was necessary to ensure the suspect remains available while the inquiry continues.
The court considered the prosecution’s concerns before granting the 10-day detention order.
Defence challenges prolonged detention
The defence lawyers opposed the application, arguing that the suspects had already spent three days in custody and that further detention would violate their constitutional rights.
Lawyer Danstan Omari, who represented the fourth respondent, said his client, a chief inspector, was only involved in repairing defective firearms and had no connection to live ammunition.
He also told the court that the Sh550,000 recovered from his client’s home was meant for university fees and not proceeds of criminal activity.
Lawyers raise health and constitutional concerns
The defence team also raised concerns about the health condition of one of the officers.
Advocate Shadrack Wamboi informed the court that one suspect had experienced persistent chest complications after contracting Covid-19 in 2021.
The lawyers argued that the continued detention violated constitutional protections, including rights provided under Articles 24, 45, 49, and 50 of the Constitution.
They maintained that the officers had permanent residences and were unlikely to interfere with investigations or abscond.
Investigation follows ammunition recovery
The case follows the September 25, 2025 arrest of Corporal Isaac Kipngetich, an armourer attached to Turkana County Police Headquarters.
Police arrested Kipngetich in Nairobi after allegedly finding 1,007 rounds of 5.56mm ammunition hidden in a backpack.
Authorities suspect the ammunition may have been intended for criminal groups involved in violent raids and banditry in the North Rift region.
Kipngetich, who was reportedly on annual leave at the time of his arrest, was arraigned the following day.
His arrest attracted attention because of his position as an armourer, a role involving responsibility for police firearms and ammunition.
Suspects remain in custody as probe continues
The six respondents under investigation are Charles Lotira, Ileli Cyrus, Samson Murithi, Wesley Sang, Paul Kipketer, and Isaac Kipngetich.
Detectives are expected to continue gathering evidence before returning to court on October 9, 2025.
The outcome of the investigations will determine whether the suspects will face formal charges or whether further legal action will be taken.
