Governor Ojaamong before Anti-Corruption Court defending himself in Sh 8M graft case

“I saved Busia County from spending in excess of Sh 25M in a waste project,”Governor Ojaamong.

I saved Busia County from spending in excess of Sh 25M in a solid waste management project, Court told yesterday.

Governor Sopspeter Ojaamong while defending himself in Sh 8 M graft case said that Madam R Company was a donor that came in with a grant to assist in the establishment of a solid waste management system in Busia.

“Sh8 million was authorized by my cabinet after it had been properly budgeted for and the money was not an improper benefit as alleged by the prosecution but their contribution, “he added.

Appearing before Anti-Corruption Chief Magistrate Douglas Ogoti, Ojaamong said that the county chief said that had the county government alone undertaken the solid waste management project, they would have spent over Sh15 million and at least Sh10 million to undertake the feasibility study. 

He added that Instead of subjecting the county to spend Sh25 million, they used Sh8m.

“We saved the county the unnecessary expenses. Madam R enterprises came with her grant and we were duty bound to make our contribution.  This was authorized by the county executive committee and effected by the water department and not me,” he said.

Ojaamong is jointly charged with nine others of conspiring to commit an economic crime by engaging in a scheme to defraud the county. 

He is accused of intentionally entering into the deal with the firm although he knew the study had not been budgeted for in 2013-14. He is said to have entered into the contract while in Berlin, Germany, on April 7, 2014.

He is also accused of abuse of office by improperly conferring a benefit to the company. 

Leave a Reply

RSS Google Alert – Kenya courts

  • An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.