Home Court News Embakasi East MP Babu Owino wins another case as lawyer for two demonstrators

Embakasi East MP Babu Owino wins another case as lawyer for two demonstrators

by Faith Karanja

Embakasi East Member of Parliament Babu Owino has successfully represented former Kenyan boxer and Olympian Suleiman Wanjau Bilali and former Harambee Stars captain Robert Otiti.

The two suspects were facing allegations of publishing false information. However, Magistrate Dolphina Alego released them after rejecting a prosecution request to detain them for further investigations.

Babu Owino defends two demonstrators in court

Owino appeared in court alongside lawyers John Maina and LSK representative Brian Mango to defend Bilali and Otiti.

The two were arrested on June 24, 2025, at Muthurwa and Kayole respectively.

Police accused them of publishing false and inciting information on social media linked to planned demonstrations.

The prosecution alleged that the suspects mobilised people to take part in unlawful protests on June 25.

Court rejects request for more detention days

The prosecution asked the court to allow police to hold the two suspects for 10 more days.

Investigators said they needed more time to analyse phones, review M-Pesa and bank records, and collect witness statements.

However, Babu Owino and the other lawyers opposed the application.

They argued that the prosecution had not presented enough evidence to justify continued detention.

Owino described the suspects as national heroes, highlighting Bilali’s role as a former national boxing captain and Otiti’s service as a former Harambee Stars player.

Magistrate orders release of suspects

Magistrate Dolphina Alego dismissed the prosecution application, saying it lacked sufficient grounds.

“The application to extend days in the case is not merited. I therefore discharge both suspects without any condition,” the magistrate ruled.

While closing the miscellaneous file, Alego said all government agencies must respect the rule of law and uphold the Constitution while carrying out their duties.

The magistrate also took judicial notice of recent events, including the death of Albert Ojwang at Central Police Station and the deaths of Gen Z protesters.

Police allegations against Bilali and Otiti

The prosecution claimed that Bilali and Otiti published a protest message on X, formerly known as Twitter, which allegedly aimed to provoke public unrest.

Police also alleged that the two were part of a group that planned to disrupt peaceful protests and create chaos around State House.

According to the investigating officer, the suspects encouraged crowds to loot, disrupt peace, and cause unrest.

The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) argued that the nature of the allegations required more time for investigations.

Babu Owino celebrates another court victory

The case marked Babu Owino’s first court appearance as a High Court advocate while representing suspects.

He said he was representing Gen Zs who had been unlawfully arrested.

The MP and his legal team successfully opposed the detention request, leading to the release of Bilali and Otiti.

The two were released without conditions after the court declined to extend their detention.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

About Us

Justice Today Kenya is the premier source of news, commentary, and analysis the goings-on in the legal corridors in Kenya. It delivers news on court judgments, upcoming cases, current hearings, scholarly perspectives, practical insights, updates, and more, as well as news and features that touch on justice.

error: Content is protected !!