Home Court News Former presidential advisor insists his land title is genuine despite court battle

Former presidential advisor insists his land title is genuine despite court battle

by Faith Karanja

Former presidential advisor on political affairs Davis Nathan Chelogoi has defended the authenticity of his land ownership documents, telling a Nairobi court that he lawfully acquired the disputed property and is the target of a scheme to dispossess him.

Chelogoi, 72, denied fraud-related charges during his defence before the court, describing the case as a “bombshell” that has damaged his reputation and disrupted his personal life.

Chelogoi says he legally acquired the land

At the centre of the dispute is a 7.89-hectare parcel of land in Nairobi.

The prosecution alleges that Chelogoi conspired with others to fraudulently acquire the property.

However, the former presidential advisor told the court that he lawfully obtained the land on January 31, 1995, while serving as a District Commissioner.

He testified that he paid Ksh2.48 million in premium to the Ministry of Lands before taking possession after being shown the property by the Commissioner of Lands.

Title documents issued through official process

Chelogoi said he later began the formal process of obtaining ownership documents.

According to his testimony, he applied for the title in December 2020 and received an allotment letter together with a certificate of lease in March 2021.

He maintained that the documents were issued by the Ministry of Lands and authenticated by senior government officials.

The court heard that Lands Registrar Charles K. Ngetich confirmed the signatures appearing on the documents were genuine.

Court previously declined eviction applications

Chelogoi told the court that no one challenged his occupation of the land until July 2022, when individuals accompanied by the complainant and police officers entered the property while he was away.

He said the complainant subsequently filed several applications before the Environment and Land Court seeking his eviction.

According to Chelogoi, all the applications were dismissed, and no court has ever issued an eviction order against him.

“No eviction order has ever been issued against me. The Ministry of Lands authorized my payments, issued my documents, and confirmed their validity,” he told the court.

Former advisor denies forgery allegations

Chelogoi also rejected allegations that he forged the signature of senior Lands officer Pauline Pesa.

He argued that the prosecution had failed to present handwriting experts or signature samples to support the forgery claims.

He further denied charges of uttering a false certificate of title, insisting that all documents in question were officially issued by the Ministry of Lands.

Defence relies on ministry officials

The defence has called several officials from the Ministry of Lands to support Chelogoi’s case.

Among them is Peter Njoki Mutua, who testified that he verified Chelogoi’s payment receipt.

The court also heard that the Principal Secretary for Lands validated the payment receipt in November 2023 after investigators questioned its authenticity.

Co-accused also denies charges

Chelogoi’s co-accused has similarly denied any wrongdoing.

Through lawyer Simon Mburu, the second accused argued that the prosecution had failed to produce credible evidence linking him to any fraudulent transaction.

The hearing continues tomorrow, with Chelogoi expected to maintain that his land ownership documents were lawfully issued and remain valid.

 

 

You may also like

Leave a Comment

About Us

Justice Today Kenya is the premier source of news, commentary, and analysis the goings-on in the legal corridors in Kenya. It delivers news on court judgments, upcoming cases, current hearings, scholarly perspectives, practical insights, updates, and more, as well as news and features that touch on justice.

error: Content is protected !!