Home Court News Two police officers involved in the killing of the mask vendor will remain in custody for seven days

Two police officers involved in the killing of the mask vendor will remain in custody for seven days

by Faith Karanja

Two police officers linked to the killing of mask vendor Boniface Kariuki will remain in custody for seven more days as IPOA continues investigations.

During a ruling delivered on July 3, 2025, at Milimani Law Courts, Magistrate Benmark Ekhubi directed that the officers remain at Capital Hill Police Station.

The extension will allow the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) to complete its investigations.

Court extends detention of police officers

The two officers, Klinzy Barasa and Dancan Kiprono, had earlier appeared before the Milimani Law Courts.

The prosecution and defence had requested more time to allow further investigations into the incident.

Magistrate Ekhubi granted the request and allowed the officers to remain in custody.

He also expressed condolences to the family of the deceased.

“The judiciary stands in solidarity with the family of the deceased and is committed to ensuring that justice is served,” the magistrate said.

Officers linked to protest incident

The officers were arrested after videos emerged showing them assaulting the unarmed mask vendor during protests on June 17, 2025.

According to reports, one of the officers later shot Kariuki at close range.

Fellow protesters rushed him to hospital, where he later died.

Family confirms Boniface Kariuki’s death

Family spokesperson Emily Wanjira confirmed Boniface Kariuki’s death.

She said he passed away at 3:15 p.m.

“We will now need to settle the hospital bill, as we have been told he is no longer with us,” Emily said.

The family had earlier received a medical update from doctors at Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH).

On June 29, 2025, doctors informed the family that Kariuki had suffered a severe medical condition that left them devastated.

His father, Jonah Kariuki Nyambura, said doctors explained that his son’s brain had stopped functioning while his heart continued beating.

Family appeals for help with medical bills

The family appealed to Kenyans for assistance in settling the hospital bill.

They said the medical expenses had already exceeded KSh3 million.

Jonah asked well-wishers to help the family manage the costs and preserve Boniface’s dignity.

Meanwhile, the case will come up for mention on July 10, 2025.

 

You may also like

Leave a Comment

About Us

Justice Today Kenya is the premier source of news, commentary, and analysis the goings-on in the legal corridors in Kenya. It delivers news on court judgments, upcoming cases, current hearings, scholarly perspectives, practical insights, updates, and more, as well as news and features that touch on justice.

error: Content is protected !!